No one enjoys a toothache. In addition to discomfort, they are often a sign that you have a problem that requires your dentist’s attention. In today’s blog, we’re going to look at the causes of toothaches and how we can treat them, often in just one visit!
Facts About Toothaches
- They Can Be Caused by Cavities: In most cases, a persistent toothache is caused by a cavity. Patients with decay may initially notice tooth sensitivity to hot or cold foods and drinks. Later, they can develop an ache that doesn’t subside after 48 hours. Treatment will be necessary to stop the ache and protect the tooth from serious complications.
- Other Factors Can Cause Temporary Toothaches: A temporary ache lasts just a few hours and can be caused by sinus issues, such as a sinus infection, or changes in air pressure, such as being at a higher elevation during a trip or plane ride. These aches are short-lived and pass after a day at the most.
- Ignoring the Problem Can Lead to Infection: If a cavity is the cause of your ache, then treatment will be needed. Otherwise, the decay will continue to grow and expand until bacteria can come into contact with the inner pulp, your tooth’s living nerve center. Then, a painful infection can develop that threatens the stability of your smile.
- Pain Can Be a Sign of Bruxism: If you grind your teeth or clench your jaw regularly, you can end up wearing down enamel or even cracking/chipping the tooth. You may develop pain due to damage the tooth has endured.
- We can Often Fix Them in One Visit: Did you know we can place a lifelike dental filling, or use dental bonding to repair minor damage, in just one visit? Don’t let an aching tooth persist, see us to discuss possible solutions right away!
Do You Have an Aching Tooth?
At Brighton Family Dental Group, we can fix your toothache and restore the health of your smile! You can schedule an appointment or consultation with Dr. Villani or Dr. Kondrat by reaching out to our office at (617) 562-5210. We are proud to offer a range of dental services to patients from Brighton, Watertown, Cambridge, Brookline, Newton, and all neighboring communities.