Are you hearing more and more about the benefits of composite dental fillings but you are not sure you know the full value of this restorative treatment? To begin, it is important to note that for many years, amalgam fillings were the standard. However, due to concerns regarding safety and comfort, many professionals (such as ourselves) choose to place tooth-colored fillings, which are known for their comfort, long-term wear, and cosmetic value. Curious if you know more than you think or if you could use some additional information? Quiz yourself to learn more.
True-or-False Quiz: Composite Dental Fillings
- True or False: Composite fillings are considered safe for most patients, including women who are pregnant, as well as individuals with metal allergies.
- True or False: Composite comes in one universal shade, so you may be able to see the filling but it will look much less obvious than an amalgam filling.
- True or False: Another benefit of composite fillings being free of metal is that they are weak thermal conductors – as a result, temperature-related sensitivity is not an issue.
- True. Composite is free of metal and mercury, which means people allergic to metal may receive composite dental fillings. Pregnant women, for whom exposure to traces of mercury is dangerous, may receive composite fillings without harm.
- False. The composite we use in composite dental fillings is a material that we can match to the color of your surrounding tooth tissue. As a result, it will be nearly impossible to detect where your tooth tissue ends and the filling begins.
- True. You may drink hot or cold beverages or indulge in the foods you love without concern about sensitivity stemming from temperature.