Brushing and flossing your teeth may seem like simple enough procedures, but did you know that there is a right and wrong way to care for your teeth? Naturally, proper dental hygiene techniques can help keep your smile bright and healthy for life, whereas improper hygiene practices can cause more harm than good. To make sure you receive the utmost benefit out of your toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss, your Brighton family dentist, Dr. Thomas Villani, offers a comprehensive list of proper dental hygiene techniques.
Tips for Cleaner, Healthier Teeth
- Brushing your teeth serves to sweep plaque and food particles off of your teeth. Scrubbing too hard, however, can remove your tooth enamel as well as dental plaque, leaving your teeth vulnerable to tooth decay and cavities. Brush gently, using a soft-bristled toothbrush whose package is stamped with the American Dental Association (ADA) seal of approval.
- For additional protection against cavities, use toothpaste with fluoride. The mineral helps maintain your tooth enamel’s strength and protect your tooth from bacteria and tooth decay.
- Villani recommends that you brush your teeth for at least two minutes to ensure that you thoroughly clean every surface of every tooth. Brush your teeth to a short, catchy song to help keep track of time.
- Although brushing is essential, its effectiveness is severely reduced without flossing, as well. Floss your teeth at least once a day, preferably before going to bed, to remove plaque and food debris from between your teeth. Floss first, then brush and rinse to ensure that all plaque and food particles are washed away.
- Visit your dentist at least once every six months, or more often, if recommended. Your regular dental checkup will allow Dr. Villani to inspect your dental health for early signs of trouble, increasing your chances of successful treatment (should treatment be necessary).
ABOUT YOUR BRIGHTON DENTIST:
Brighton Family Dental Group is located in Brighton MA. Featuring experienced dentists and an excellent range of in-office treatments, Brighton Family Dental Group is a great destination for any member of your family who is in need of dental care. Patients can schedule an appointment or a consultation with Dr. Thomas Villani by calling (617) 562-5210.