We’re officially in October! Which means Halloween is just a few weeks away. While we love this spooky holiday as much as anyone, we also know that excessive candy consumption is a recipe for tooth decay. Fortunately, we have a few tips to help our Brighton, MA, patients enjoy a healthy Halloween!
Tips for Healthy Halloween Smiles
- Offer Candy Alternatives: If you’re handing out treats on the big day, you don’t have to give out candy. In fact, in recent years parents have begun handing out stickers, party favors, and other inexpensive treats to make sure the holiday remains fun while also reducing the risk of cavities.
- Buy Your Child’s Candy: If your child comes home with an epic haul, why not try a little bribery? Some parents “buy” candy from their kids, letting children exchange sugary treats for money or toys. They can also donate to programs such as Operation Gratitude, which donates the candy to troops overseas.
- Limit How Much and When They Eat Them: Don’t let them go crazy with their haul. Instead, limit them to a set amount of candy per day. Even better, have them eat their treats right after dinner and wash down the candy with a glass a water. For kids, this means their candy lasts longer without putting more strain on oral health.
- Brush and Floss Daily: Children should be brushing twice a day as soon as the baby teeth arrive. Each session should last about two minutes to ensure they’re properly cleaning their teeth. We also suggest flossing every night before bed. You may need to assist or monitor your younger children.
- Schedule a Post-Halloween Visit: Bring your little ones, and the rest of you family, in for a checkup and cleaning every six months!
Do You Have Questions About Keeping Smiles Healthy?
At Brighton Family Dental Group, we want patients of all ages to enjoy a fun and smile healthy Halloween. You can schedule an appointment or consultation with Dr. Villani or Dr. Kondrat by reaching out to our office at (617) 562-5210. We are proud to offer a range of dental services to patients from Brighton, Watertown, Cambridge, Brookline, Newton, and all neighboring communities.